Phagoctosis, Retinal Cell Biology, Retinal Degenerative Diseases (Retinitis pigmentosa and Age-related Macular Degeneration), Obesity, Molecular and Cell Biology, Functional Proteomics by Phage Display
My current research focuses on two areas of diseases: retinal degeneration and obesity. For retinal degeneration, I study the role of retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) cell phagocytosis in photoreceptor death that leads to retinal dysfunction. For obesity, I explore the physiological and pathological roles of tubby in the development of obesity. I use multidisciplinary approaches that include animal models, molecular, cellular, genetic, biochemical and functional proteomics by phage display in combination with next generation DNA sequencing (NGS) technology to investigate the above diseases.
- Caberoy NB. Synergistic interaction of Tubby and Tubby-like protein 1. Adv Exp Med Biol. (submitted).
- Caberoy NB, Alvarado G and Li W. (2012) Tubby regulates microglial phagocytosis through MerTK. J Neuroimmunol. 2012 Aug 7 [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 22884297.
- Caberoy NB and Li W. (2012)Unraveling the molecular mystery of retinal pigment epithelium phagocytosis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 723:693-699. PMID:22183395.
- Caberoy NB, Alvarado G, Bigcas JL, and Li W. (2011) Identification of galectin 3 as MerTK specific ligand by dual functional selection. J Cell Physiol. 227(2):401-407. PMID: 21792939.
- Giglio K, Caberoy NB, Suen G, Kaiser D, and Garza AG. (2011) A cascade of co-regulating enhancer binding proteins initiates and propagates a multicellular developmental program. PNAS USA108(32):E431-439. PMID: 2167027.
- Caberoy NB, Alvarado G and Li W. (2011) Identification of calpain substrates by ORF phage display. Molecules 16(2):1739-1748 PMID: 21339709.
- Caberoy NB, Zhou Y, and Li W. (2010) Tubby and tubby-like protein 1 are new ligands for MerTK. EMBO J. 29 (23):3898-3910.PMID: 20978472.
- Kim Y, Caberoy NB, Alvarado G, Davis JL, Feuer WJ, and Li W. (2010)Identification of Hnrph3 as an autoantigen for acute anterior uveitis. Clin Immunol. doi:10.1016/j.clim.2010.09.008. PMID: 20943442.
- Li W and Caberoy NB. (2010) New perspective for phage display as an efficient and versatile technology of functional proteomics. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 85 (4): 909-919. PMID: 19885657.
- Caberoy NB, Maiguel D, Kim Y, and Li W. (2010) Identification of tubby and tubby-like protein 1 as eat-me signal by phage display. Exp Cell Res. 316 (2):245-257.PMID:19837063.
- Caberoy NB, Zhou Y, Jiang X, Alvarado G, and Li W. (2010) Efficient identification of tubby-binding proteins by an improved system of T7 phage display. J Mol Recognit. 23(1): 74-83. PMID: 19718693.
- Caberoy NB and Li W. (2009) Unconventional secretion of tubby and tubby-like protein 1. FEBS Lett. 583(18):3057-3062. PMID: 19695251.
- Caberoy NB, Zhou Y, and Li W. (2009) Can phage display be used as a tool to functionally identify endogenous eat-me signals in phagocytosis? J Biomol Screen. 14 (6):653-661. PMID: 19531662.
- Caberoy NB, Zhou Y, Alvarado G, Fan X, and Li W. (2009) Efficient identification of phosphatidylserine-binding proteins by ORF phage display. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 386 (1):197-201. PMID: 19520055.
- Ossa F, Diodati ME, Caberoy NB, Giglio KM, Edmonds M, Singer M, and Garza AG. (2007)The Myxococcus xanthus Nla4 protein is important for expression of stringent response-associated genes, ppGpp accumulation, and fruiting body development. J Bacteriol. 189 (23):8474-8483. PMID: 17905995.
- Tengra FK, Dahl JL, Dutton D, Caberoy NB, Coyne L, and Garza AG. (2006) CbgA, a protein involved in cortex formation and stress resistance in Myxococcus xanthus spores. J Bacteriol. 188: 8299-8302.PMID: 16997953.
- Diodati ME, Ossa F, Caberoy NB, Jose IR, Hiraiwa W, Igo MM, Singer M, and Garza AG. (2006)Nla18, a key regulatory protein required for normal growth and development of Myxococcus xanthus. J Bacteriol. 188:1733-1743. PMID: 16484184.
- Srinivasan BS, Caberoy NB, Suen G, Taylor RG, Shah R, Tengra F, Goldman BS, Garza AG and Welch RD. (2005) Functional genome annotation through phylogenomic mapping.Nat Biotechnol. 23: 691-698. PMID: 15940241.
- Lancero HL, Castaneda S, Caberoy NB, Ma X, Garza AG, and Shi W. (2005) Analysing protein-protein interactions of the Myxococcus xanthus Dif signaling pathway using the yeast two-hybrid system. Microbiol. 151:1535-1541. PMID: 15870463.
- Lancero H, Caberoy NB, Castaneda S, Li Y, Lu A, Dutton D, Duan XY, Kaplan HB, Shi W and Garza AG. (2004) Characterization of a Myxococcus xanthus mutant that is defective for adventurous motility and social motility. Microbiol.150: 4085-4093. PMID: 15583161.
- Toledo JD, Caberoy NB, and Quinitio GF. (2004) Environmental factors affecting embryonic development, hatching, and survival of early stage larvae of the grouper (Epinephelus coioides). pp. 10-16. in Advances in Grouper Aquaculture. Rimmer MA, McBride S, and Williams KC (eds). Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, Canberra, Australia.
- Caberoy NB, Welch RD, Jakobsen JS, Slater SC, and Garza AG. (2003) Global mutational analysis of NtrC-like activators in Myxococcus xanthus: Identifying activator mutants defective for motility and fruiting body development. J Bacteriol. 185: 6083-6094. PMID: 14526020.
- Toledo JD, Caberoy NB, Quinitio GF, Choresca CH, and Nakagawa H. (2002)Effects of salinity, aeration and light intensity on oil globule absorption, feeding incidence, growth and survival of early-stage grouper Epinephelus coioides larvae. Fisheries Science 68: 478-483.
- Caberoy NB and Quinitio GF. (2000)Changes in Na+,K+-ATPase activity and gill chloride cell morphology in the grouper Epinephelus coioides larvae and juveniles in response to salinity and temperature. Fish Physiol Biochem. 23: 83-94.
- Caberoy NB and Quinitio GF. (1998) Sensitivity of grouper Epinephelus coioideseggs to handling stress at different stages of embryonic development. Isr J Aquacult-Bamid. 50: 167-173.
- Quinitio GF, Caberoy NB, and Reyes DM. (1997) Induction of sex change in femaleEpinephelus coioides by social control. Isr J Aquacult-Bamid. 49: 77-83.
- Quinitio GF, Coloso RM, Caberoy NB, Toledo JD, and Reyes DM. (1996) Egg quality of grouper Epinephelus coioides fed different fatty acid sources. p. 103-107. In The fish egg: Its biology and culture. MacKinlay D and Eldridge M (eds). International Congress on the Biology of Fishes. San Francisco State University.
- Marte CL, Quinitio GF, and Caberoy NB. (1995) Spontaneous spawning of grouperEpinephelus coioides after sex-inversion by 17a-methyltestosterone. J Wld Aquacult Soc. 24: 262-274.
SEB Program Group: Integrative Physiology
SEB Lab Location: 3158