School of Nursing
You are here
New Students’ Checklist
- Be able to perform essential tasks. Review the demands of the program as a means to compare your own capabilities against the identified tasks.
- Obtain a physical examination from a physician or nurse practitioner that verifies your potential to complete the program.
- Sign a waiver releasing the School of Nursing and UNLV from responsibility for injury or illness resulting from exposure to disease, medicines, or treatments while in the clinical setting.
- Present evidence of a QuantiFERON® tuberculosis test within the past year.
- Provide documentation of measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus immunizations within the past 10 years.
- Provide evidence of HBV vaccination series.
- Completion of a student-funded drug screen. Details for completion of the drug screen will be provided at the time the student signs the Nursing Program Contract.
- Completion of a student-funded background check, which is required for being accepted into the hospital clinical setting.
- Prior to the first clinical experience a student must:
- Provide evidence of current health insurance. The confirmation is shared with the clinical agency in which the clinical is being conducted.
- If a student does not have proof of health insurance, that student will not be allowed to remain in clinical.
- Students are responsible to determine that their health insurance coverage includes provisions for emergency room visits in the event of a needle stick or other high-risk exposure in the clinical setting as well as the costs of anti-HIV drugs if the physician determines the medications are warranted.
- Show evidence of completion of American Heart Association Health Care Provider Support Course (BLS).