Ph.D. Admission Requirements
Please note: Applications for fall 2015 matriculation in the Ph.D. in Nursing are closed. Applications for fall 2016 matriculation will open October 1, 2015.
Applications are reviewed on an individual basis. To enter the program, applicants must have:
- A BSN and an MSN from accredited schools of nursing. If you have a master’s degree in a health related discipline and a BSN from accredited institution you may apply for admission to our program.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) in your master’s degree program, and have a "B" or better in a graduate research and a graduate statistics course.
- Current RN licensure in U.S. or country of residence.
Steps to Admission
- Complete an online application with the Graduate College. Upload the following documents into the "Graduate Program Supplementary Information" page of the application before submitting:
- Unofficial transcripts from all university level education.
- Current resume or vita.
- Statement of purpose.
- Enter contact information for recommenders who will upload letters of recommendation by clicking on the "Recommendations" link in the application system.
- Request that all official transcripts from registrar office of each college and university attended be sent to: UNLV Graduate College 4505 S. Maryland Parkway, Box 451017 Las Vegas, NV 89154-1017
- International students from a country where English is not the native language and who did not receive a degree from a university where English is the language of instruction need to submit a satisfactory English language proficiency test score. It must be sent directly from the testing agency to the above address.
- An earned bachelor’s and master's degrees in nursing from programs accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. International applicants must demonstrate proof of equivalent education and degree. Applicants with a master's degree in a health related discipline from an accredited institution are eligible for admission but must meet following requirements: (a) an earned bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited program and (b) completion of UNLV MSN core courses: NURS 706, NURS 711, and NURS 713.
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 in a nursing or health related master's program.
- Evidence of successful completion of one graduate level course in statistics and one graduate level course in research with a "B" or better prior to admission.
- Current resume or vita.
- Two samples of written work.
- One set of official transcripts to UNLV Graduate College. If unofficial transcripts are available, upload them with the applicaton.
- Official GRE score report (taken within last 5 years).
- Three letters of recommendation from former instructors or other qualified professionals who can speak to the applicant’s potential to complete the Ph.D. program to be submitted through the Graduate College application.
- A personal statement, which can be as long as three pages, describing the applicant’s professional goals and specifically discussing the applicant's research area of interest.
- Current RN license to practice in state of residence.
Admission Process after Completed Application Package is Received
- Ph.D. Admission Committee reviews applications and selects candidates for interview.
- Ph.D. Admission Committee interviews selected applicants and make admission decisions.
- Ph.D. Coordinator notifies UNLV Graduate College of admission.
- Domestic students' admission decisions are only available when the students log back into their online application with the Graduate College. International students are notified by mail of their admission/denial.
- School of Nursing contacts incoming Ph.D. students for post-admission matters.
Please contact the School of Nursing Graduate Studies Administrative Assistant at 702-895-5923 if you have any questions.