School of Nursing

You are here

Master's Program FAQ

How often do you admit students into your program?
Students are admitted into the program annually and begin classes in the fall semester. Students must apply by Feb. 1. Learn more about the admissions process.
Do I have to be admitted into the program to start taking graduate nursing classes?
No, you can take three courses in the masters program as a special student. However, to progress in the program you must be an admitted student.
Do I need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) to apply for admissions into the MSN program?
No, the GRE is not a requirement for admissions into the Masters program.
What are the requirements for admissions into the MSN program?
You must have a BSN degree from an accredited nursing program with a minimum of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average. You must also have a Nevada State nursing license, and complete a graduate statistics course with a grade of "B" or better. There are other specific requirements for each track. Call the SON at 702-895-3360 to obtain additional information, or visit admissions and click on the information for the track you are interested in.
When is the application for admissions due to the Graduate College?
You will have to submit all required application materials to the Graduate College by Feb. 1.
How do I apply for admission to the program?
Visit the Graduate College. The online application form can be found at Admissions>Domestic or International>How to Apply.
What are the various areas of concentration in the MSN program?
You can obtain your MSN in either the Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) or Nursing Education (NE) track. A post-masters FNP certificate or NE certificate is also an option if you already hold a masters degree in nursing.
How long will it take me to obtain my MSN degree?
If you pursue full-time coursework you can complete the program in two years. Part-time course work can be completed for either track in three years.
How many credits do I need to take per semester to be considered a full-time student?
Nine credits per semester.
How long do I have to complete the program?
You must complete all course work and your thesis or professional paper/project within six years.
What happens if I do not complete the program in the allotted time period?
You will need to repeat the courses that are six years old (or older) while completing your thesis or professional paper/project.
Does the six-year period start at the time I’m admitted into the program?
No, it begins from the date of your first graduate course taken.
Can I work full-time while going through the program?
It is possible to work full-time while in the program, however, it is recommended that you work part-time. The programs are rigorous and require preparation time outside of the classroom/internet class. It has been our experience that students in the FNP track find it difficult to keep a full-time work schedule once they begin their clinical rotations. Students in the NE track also find full-time work challenging while doing their teaching practicum.
Do I have to attend weekly classes on campus throughout the program?
No, if you are in the NE track you will meet on campus once at the beginning of the program. If you are in the FNP or PNP track you may be required to meet three times a semester during your clinical courses. However, the majority of course content for all tracks is taught online.
Are scholarships or financial aid available to students?
Yes, you may apply for financial aid through our Financial Aid Office. Additionally, nursing fellowships and scholarships are available to a limited number of qualified individuals.
Do I have to complete a thesis?
If you are in the FNP track you have an option to complete thesis or a capstone paper. If you are in the NE track thesis or a utilization project are your options.
What is a capstone paper?
Students in the FNP track have the option to complete a capstone paper instead of a thesis. This paper represents students' understanding of the major concepts presented in the program framed around a patient with complex medication problems.
Where can I find information about thesis preparation?
From your Advisor Committee Chair.