The Department of Music is deeply involved in the Las Vegas community, and welcomes it to a large variety of concert events. Concerts open to the public are performed by faculty, students, and guest artists in many musical genres, including jazz, classical, and contemporary music, and many of these events are free of charge.
At UNLV, musical outreach groups invite participation of community members — from high school students to senior citizens — in several ensembles; the only requirement to join is your love of music and desire to play it.
UNLV Community Concert Band
UNLV Community Concert Band is open to any student or Las Vegas resident who wishes to perform in a concert band.
UNLV New Horizons Band
UNLV New Horizons Band is a noncredit course that places more emphasis on learning and musical enjoyment than on the pressures of performance. It is also open to any student or resident of Las Vegas.
- Bright Light City Bassoons
- High Desert Horns: A community horn ensemble open to all French horn players.
Orchestral concerts and opera are performed in a variety of venues, both on and off campus, and many are free of charge.
- Henderson Symphony Orchestra
- Las Vegas Philharmonic Orchestra
- Las Vegas Flute Club
- Green Valley Chamber Music Festival
- Nevada Opera Theatre
- Desert Chorale
- Southern Nevada Chapter of the American Guild of Organists
- Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society
- Las Vegas Master Singers
Jazz Organizations & Partnerships
- Clark County Library - Flamingo Library "Jazz Concert Series" Partnership with Jazz Studies