The College of Liberal Arts is pleased to have the ability, based upon private funding, to award annual scholarships to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students pursuing a degree within the College of Liberal Arts (COLA). Liberal Arts students must complete the scholarship application to be considered for all applicable departmental and COLA scholarships.
Please Note: The scholarships awarded may vary from year to year based upon continued funding. Scholarships do not automatically renew. All students must reapply annually for scholarship eligibility.
Unless otherwise stated, scholarships shall be awarded to a student(s) meeting the following criteria:
- Student must be formally admitted to UNLV;
- Student must demonstrate financial need as determined by FAFSA;
- Student must complete a COLA Scholarship application;
- Student must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
Please Note: Scholarships are awarded based upon factors established by the private donor, the College of Liberal Arts, and UNLV. Examples of such factors can be, but not limited to, GPA within a discipline, financial need, major, class rank, work hours, and etc. Be sure to read the individual scholarship information for more detailed information.
The College of Liberal Arts and its academic departments must consider all students who have completed a FAFSA application and who meet specific donor criteria. Only students on the Student Financial Services list may be selected for awards.
To find out more about other scholarship opportunities, visit the UNLV’s Financial Aid & Scholarships page.
Scholarship Application & Instructions
Application Deadline: Each student must complete the COLA Scholarship application by February 15 to be eligible for priority first-round awarding. Applications will continue to be accepted after February 15, but are not guaranteed to be considered for awarding if all funding is disbursed during the initial round of awarding. Applications will remain on record until the end of the spring semester.
To apply you must complete the following items:
- Complete the COLA Scholarship application
- Complete the FAFSA form for the upcoming school year to be eligible and considered for need-based scholarships. The priority date for filing the FAFSA for UNLV is February 1. FAFSA data is provided to the College of Liberal Arts by Student Financial Services.
The College of Liberal Arts department scholarship committees will review applications and select the winners for department awards. The process begins in March and first-round awarding is determined by May 1. Scholarship nominees will be notified via their university email by May 30. Scholarship recipients receive an award letter and packet indicating the following:
- Scholarship fact sheet – including the scholarship name and description; award amount; and requirements to maintain the scholarship for the current academic year.
- Complete a Scholarship Acknowledgement Form
- Submit a handwritten, personal thank you note to the donor.
All required items are to be returned to the College of Liberal Arts Dean’s Office, CBC-B 519.
College of Liberal Arts
- Joyce Mack Scholarship
- Ron Smith and Susan Thompson Scholarship
- Vista Group Outstanding Senior Award
Department of Anthropology
- Angela Peterson Memorial Scholarship
- Eleanor F. Edwards and Max Olswang Scholarship
- Patricia Rocchio Award
Department of English
- Brooks Family/Chris Hudgins English Literacy Essay Award
- Donald L. Wood Scholarship
- Dorothy Mae Freischel Scholarship
- Linda D. Potter Scholarship
Department of History
- Dr. Hal K. Rothman Doctoral History Graduate Student Award
- Harold L. Boyer and Judith Boyer History Student Scholarship
- History Department Tribute Scholarship
- Jerry Lodge & Robert E. Clark Scholarship
- John S. Wright Award
- Master of Arts for Teachers of History Scholarship