Separating Classified Employees
Here are tips to help your separation proceed as smoothly as possible:
- Talk to your supervisor regarding your separation.
Select an effective date for your seperation.
- Complete the Resignation from State Service Form.
A copy of the resignation from state service form with the supervisor’s signature must be forwarded to HR as soon as possible and before you leave UNLV. The resignation from state service form must be emailed to HRexit@unlv.edu as an attachment, in order for HR to initiate the clearance and process.
- Contact a Benefits Representative to schedule your clearance appointment.
The Benefits Representative will discuss options available to you for continuation of benefits, retirement accounts, continuation of supplemental insurance policies, unemployment, etc.
- Settle any outstanding debts to the university.
HR will notify certain departments on campus that you will be leaving employment to ensure that you have no outstanding debts to the university. It is your responsibility to clear out any outstanding items prior to separation. Any delay could result in a delay in the release of your final check. Following is a list of items/areas that you may have to address:
- Library. If you currently hold materials you should return them to the library. You will also need to pay any outstanding fines.
- Parking. If you purchased your parking permit through payroll deduction, you need to return your parking sticker to parking services. You will also need to pay any outstanding parking fines.
- Keys. Keys will need to be returned directly to the Lock Shop at Campus Services Building Room 156. Their hours of operation are from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Procurement Cards. If you have a P-Card, you will need to surrender that card either to Purchasing or you can bring the card with you to your clearance appointment.
- Outstanding Travel. All travel claim forms or checks needs to be submitted prior to your separation
- Computer Loan. If you have a balance on your computer loan, payment will usually come out of your final paycheck. If the amount is in excess of your final check, you will need to discuss payment arrangements directly with the Bursar’s office.
- Uniforms. If your department provided you with uniforms, these will need to be returned directly to your department.
- Update your address to ensure your W-2 is mailed to the correct address at the end of the year.
You can update your address through the employees self-service system, EQUUS.