Visiting Faculty Application & Guidelines
Requirements for Consideration
Applications must be received by first week of March each year. The application packet should address the following:
- The visiting faculty’s specific areas of research and teaching expertise
- The specific goals the visiting faculty expects to fulfill from the experience
- The ways in which the visiting faculty can contribute to the department during the visit
- The visiting faculty’s expected arrival and departure dates (e.g., August 20, 20XX to December 15, 20XX). Please note that timing of visit should be compatible with the UNLV academic calendar (August 25 – May 15). The faculty may not be available during summer session for collaboration with visiting professors.
- A complete academic vita (translated in English) that includes:
- Complete mailing and email addresses
- Current academic position held
- Citations of all publications completed
- Titles and level (undergraduate, graduate) of courses currently taught
- Letter of recommendation from an administrator at your current institution that:
- Verifies the academic position and rank that you currently hold
- Supports your goals for the UNLV visitation period.
- A letter outlining resources/support provided by the faculty/faculty’s own institution and the resources demanded from the Hotel College.
The Hotel College will look for:
- A match between the visiting faculty's research expertise and Hotel College faculty members’ expertise, so that research/scholarship collaboration is possible. At least one Hotel College faculty must sponsor the visiting faculty.
- Strong communications skills in English for useful interaction with staff, faculty and graduate students. For applicants whose first language is not English, verification may include TOEFL scores or equivalent, or completion of English language course work.
Visiting faculty will be expected to:
- Adhere to all University, College and Department policies.
- Teach at least one seminar for Hotel College/department faculty and students that fulfills one of the following:
- a research presentation (which includes research methods)
- a presentation on promoting graduate programs to international students
- a presentation on curriculum innovation, development and/or pedagogy
- a guest lecture for a Hotel College course.
Review Process: All applications are going to be evaluated by the Hotel College Executive Committee consisting of the dean, associate deans, department chairs and graduate program director. Applicants will be notified by first week of May.
Please contact and send all correspondence to: Seyhmus Baloglu, Ph.D., CHE, Professor and Assistant Dean of Research and International Programs, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 456023, Las Vegas, NV 891546023, Phone: 702-895-3932, Fax: 702-895-4870, E-mail: email@example.com.