PhD in Hotel Administration Degree Requirements
Ph.D. Course Work and Dissertation
- Successfully complete the required core courses (12 credit hours).
- HOA 794 Issues and Trends for Hospitality Educators (one credit – repeated for three different semesters)
- HOA 798 Readings in Hospitality Management
- HOA 797 Philosophy of Science in Hospitality Research
- HOA 795 Research Seminar in Hospitality Education
- Quantitative Methodology and Qualitative Methodology (9 credits)
- HOA 735 Research Methodology
- HOA 796 Advanced Research Methodology
- EPY 718 Qualitative Research Methodologies
- Statistical Analysis (6 credits – choose two from the following)
- STA 713 – Experimental Design
- STA 715 – Multivariate Statistical Methods
- EPY 722 – Inferential Statistics and Experimental Design
- EPY 732 – Multiple Regression and Path Analysis
- EPY 733 – Multivariate Statistics
- EPY 734 – Latent Variable Models: Factor Analysis and SEM
- EAB 763 – Linear Statistical Models
- EAB 783 – Multivariate Methods for the Health Sciences
- PSC 702 – Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Major and Minor Area of Study (15 credits)
- Major area courses – 3 3-credit courses
- Minor area courses – 2 3-credit courses
- Electives (6 credits)
- Dissertation (12 credit hours)
- Must have at least 24 credits in the Harrah Hotel College (excluding dissertation credits) and 12 credits outside of the Harrah Hotel College. All credits must be 700-level courses.
- Successful completion of all courses approved on the student’s graduate program of study with a 3.00 or better. Any credits completed with less than a 2.00 may result in the student’s termination from the program.
- After the first year of course work, but before the end of the fourth semester, a qualifying exam must be passed.
- The student must file an approved degree plan before the start of the third semester after admission to the program. The degree plan must be developed in consultation with the student's Doctoral Advising Committee Chair, the Doctoral Advising Committee Chair, the Director of the Ph.D. program, and the Executive Director of Graduate Studies and Research.
- Simultaneous to the last semester of content-related course work (non-dissertation credits), the student must pass a major and minor area comprehensive exam. This exam is designed by the student’s committee under the direction of the dissertation chair. This exam must be taken within five years of the admission date.
- The student must successfully write and defend his/her dissertation program proposal and the completed dissertation. The dissertation must be of substantial quality and length, original in thought and research, and make a significant contribution to the body of knowledge in the field of hospitality administration. Upon approval of the Doctoral Advising Committee, the student will orally defend both the dissertation proposal and the completed dissertation.
- All students admitted to the program may spend the equivalent of two semesters completing an approved internship if necessary.
For additional information, please contact Dr. James Busser, Director of Ph.D. Program, Harrah Hotel College, at 702-895-0942 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.