Ph.D. in Hospitality Administration Admission Requirements
The student must satisfy the following admission requirements of the Graduate College and the William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution with at least 24 credits in hotel administration, food service administration, tourism-convention administration, or a closely aligned field.
- An overall GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for all work completed at the post-baccalaureate level.
- Three years of management/supervisory experience in the hospitality industry.
- GRE or GMAT test results sent directly from the testing center to the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office. Students must make a satisfactory composite score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (dept code 5199), minimum score 1150 or 50th percentile—with at least 35% on the verbal portion of the GRE, or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) (dept code ZSC-37-21), minimum score 550.
- Proof of English proficiency: if you did not receive your baccalaureate degree form a school where English was the language of instruction, you must complete one of the language tests listed below with the minimum score indicated or above:
- Paper-based Test – 550 (minimum writing score – 58)
- Computer-based Test – 213 (minimum writing score – 24)
- Internet-based Test – 80 (minimum writing score – 21, minimum speaking score – 21)
- Michigan Test – 85% (minimum scores: 40 out of 50 speaking; 40 out of 50 writing)
- IELTS – minimum score 7
- Pearson English Language Test - 65
- Unofficial scores may be submitted electronically with your application, but official scores must be sent directly from the testing center to the Graduate College to complete your application.
- Evaluation of all foreign credentials, or those transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States. When ordering a foreign credential evaluation, please be sure that the grade point average (GPA) is calculated and included in the evaluation. Foreign credentials must be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of the NACES-approved agencies listed below:
- Josef Silny & Associates (order university course-by-course evaluation, plus GPA)
- World Education Services (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
- Evaluation Service, Inc. (order Course & Credit Report, which includes GPA)
- International Education Research Foundation (order Detail Report, which includes GPA)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
Official evaluations to be sent from the evaluating agency to both the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office.
- An M.S. - level thesis or the equivalent.
The following information to be submitted electronically to the Graduate College with your application:
- Completed online application found in the upper right-hand column of the Graduate College home page.
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended may be uploaded to the online application. However, official transcripts sent directly from the educational institution(s) are required by the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office for your application to be complete.
- A statement of 500 words outlining what the applicant expects to accomplish during the Ph.D. program and his/her particular research interests.
- Current resume (must have three years of managerial level work experience in the hospitality and/or tourism industry).
- Three Letters of Recommendation: you may upload contact information (name, address, phone, email) for two college faculty members and a current or former employer able to evaluate your potential for success in a Ph.D. program (two recommendations required). If you are no longer in touch with faculty members, two letters from employers will suffice. Your contacts will be sent an email with information on how to complete the online recommendation or where to send a mailed submission.
NOTE: You may skip this section on the application and have your recommenders mail their letters directly to the Hotel Graduate Studies office at the address below.
- Payment of the application fee.
The following information must be sent directly to the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies? Office:
- Official results from the GMAT or GRE office.
- A master’s level thesis or the equivalent.
- In addition to the electronic and official transcripts sent to the Graduate College, the Harrah Hotel College requires official copies be mailed directly to the Graduate Studies Office.
- Evaluation of foreign credentials (see above)
James Busser, Ph.D.
Professor, Director of Ph.D. Program