Dual MIS/MS in Hotel Administration Admission Requirements
The student must satisfy the following admission requirements of UNLV’s Graduate College, the College of Business and the Harrah Hotel College to be accepted into the dual MIS/HOA degree program:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Overall undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale
- Minimum of one year of full-time work experience in a management or supervisory capacity in the hospitality industry, or three years of full-time experience in any type of position in the hospitality field
- GMAT score of 550 or higher, with verbal and quantitative areas over the 25th percentile
- Submission of all undergraduate transcripts
- Submission of a 500-word personal statement/essay
- Submission of a current resume with all contact names and addresses
- Submission of two letters of recommendation from an employer and a faculty member (letters from two employers will suffice if you are no longer in contact with a faculty member; letters must come directly from the recommender)
- Submission of an application fee: $60 for domestic students; $75 for international students.
The following information to be submitted electronically to the UNLV Graduate College:
- Completed online application found in the upper right-hand column of the UNLV Graduate College homepage.
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Payment of application fee: $60 for domestic students; $75 for international students
- A brief essay of approximately 500 words outlining your career goals, how your hospitality employment background has prepared you for graduate study, and why you are interested in the dual degree program.
- A resume with names of all current and previous employers. The resume should clearly indicate job titles, place and date of employment, and specific job responsibilities.
- Contact information (name, address, phone, email) for two people who will write a letter of recommendation for your admittance into the program. One should be a current or former employer and the other a college faculty member able to evaluate your potential for success in a graduate degree program. If you are no longer in touch with faculty members, two letters from employers may suffice. Your contacts will be sent an email with information on how to complete the recommendation online or where to send a submission by mail.
NOTE: Instead of the above, you may skip this section on the application and have your recommenders mail their letters directly to the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office at the address below.
The following must be submitted directly to the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office:
- Official GMAT results sent directly from ETS (Department Code ZSC 3739). Minimum score is 550—you must score at least 25% on the verbal portion and quantitative areas. GMAT scores over five years old are not accepted. We will not waive the GMAT under any circumstances, or accept the results of any other graduate school entrance exam in its place.
- Proof of English Proficiency — if you did not receive your baccalaureate degree form a school where English was the language of instruction, you must complete one of the language tests listed below with the minimum score indicated or above:
- Paper-based Test – 550 (minimum writing score – 58)
- Computer-based Test – 213 (minimum writing score – 24)
- Internet-based Test – 80 (minimum writing score – 21, minimum speaking score – 21)
- Michigan Test – 85% (minimum scores: 40 out of 50 speaking; 40 out of 50 writing)
- IELTS – 7
- Pearson English Language Test - 65
Unofficial scores may be submitted electronically with your application, but official scores must be sent directly from the testing center to the Graduate College to complete your application.
- Evaluation of all foreign credentials, or those transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States. When ordering a foreign credential evaluation, please be sure that the grade point average (GPA) is calculated and included in the evaluation. Foreign credentials must be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of the NACES-approved agencies listed below:
Official evaluations to be sent from the evaluating agency to both the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office.
- Josef Silny & Associates (order university course-by-course evaluation, plus GPA)
- World Education Services (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
- Evaluation Service, Inc. (order Course & Credit Report, which includes GPA)
- International Education Research Foundation (order Detail Report, which includes GPA)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
- In addition to submitting your transcript(s) electronically when filling out the application, UNLV Graduate College and the Hotel College Graduate Studies Office requires that you have an official copy mailed directly to us from all schools attended.
Karl Mayer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor/Advisor Dual MBA/HOA Program