Master of Hotel Administration Admission Requirements
The student must satisfy the following admission requirements of the Graduate College and the William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with an overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale, or 3.00 or higher in the last two years of study.
- A minimum of three years of full-time management experience in the hospitality industry.
- Proof of English proficiency: if you did not receive your baccalaureate degree form a school where English was the language of instruction, you must complete one of the language tests listed below with the minimum score indicated or above:
- Paper-based Test – 550 (minimum writing score – 58)
- Computer-based Test – 213 (minimum writing score – 24)
- Internet-based Test – 80 (minimum writing score – 21, minimum speaking score – 21)
- Michigan Test – 85% (minimum scores: 40 out of 50 speaking; 40 out of 50 writing)
- IELTS – 7
- Pearson English Language Test - 65
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Because this program is offered totally online and is available anywhere in the world, UNLV cannot issue an I-20 and you cannot obtain a student visa to come to the United States based upon enrollment in the Master’s of Hospitality Administration Program.
- Evaluation of all foreign credentials, or those transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States. When ordering a foreign credential evaluation, please be sure that the grade point average (GPA) is calculated and included in the evaluation. Foreign credentials must be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of the NACES-approved agencies listed below:
- Josef Silny & Associates (order university course-by-course evaluation, plus GPA)
- World Education Services (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
- Evaluation Service, Inc. (order Course & Credit Report, which includes GPA)
- International Education Research Foundation (order Detail Report, which includes GPA)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
Official evaluations to be sent from the evaluating agency to both the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office.
The following information to be submitted electronically to the Graduate College with your application:
- Completed online application found in the upper right-hand column of the Graduate College home page.
- Unofficial transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended.
- Payment of application fees.
- A brief essay of approximately 500 words outlining your career goals and how your hospitality employment background has prepared you for graduate study.
- Résumé with employer references. The resume should clearly indicate job titles, place and date of employment and specific job responsibilities.
- Two letters of recommendation: You may upload contact information (name, address, phone, email) for a current or former employer and a college faculty member able to evaluate your potential for success in a graduate program (two recommendations required). If you are no longer in touch with faculty members, two letters from employers will suffice. Your contacts will be sent an email with information on how to complete the online recommendation or where to mail a submission.
NOTE: Instead of the above, you may skip this section on the application and have your recommenders email their letters directly to email@example.com.
The following information to be submitted directly to the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office and the Graduate College:
- In addition to the electronic transcript(s) submitted to the Graduate College with your application, official copies of your transcripts must be mailed directly from the educational institution(s) to both the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials (see #4 above)
Notes: Students are not required to take the GRE or the GMAT for entry into this program.
We will accept email submissions of the essay, resume and recommendation letters. However, recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the professor or employer, not forwarded by the prospective student.
Advisor and Program Manager
Gael Hancock, M.S., CHE, APR
Graduate Program Manager
Daniel McLean, Ph.D.
Professor, Director MHA Program
Graduate Studies Office
Harrah Hotel College, UNLV
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 456017
Las Vegas, NV 89154-6017