Dual MBA/MS in Hotel Administration Admission Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following admission requirements of the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
- A minimum of one year of full-time work experience in a management or supervisory capacity in the hospitality industry, or three years of full-time experience in any position in the hospitality field.
- Official GMAT test results sent directly from ETS. The GMAT department code is ZSC-37-21. An applicant must score 550 or higher with verbal and quantitative areas over the 25th percentile.
- Proof of English Proficiency: if English is not your native language and you did not receive your baccalaureate degree from a school where English was the language of instruction, you must complete one of the language tests listed below with at least the minimum score indicated:
- Paper-based Test – 550 (minimum writing score – 58)
- Computer-based Test – 213 (minimum writing score – 24)
- Internet-based Test – 80 (minimum writing score – 21, minimum speaking score – 21)
- Michigan Test – 85% (minimum scores: 40 out of 50 speaking; 40 out of 50 writing)
- IELTS – 7
- Pearson English Language Test - 65
Unofficial scores may be submitted with your online application, but official scores must be sent directly from the testing center to complete your application.
Official evaluations to be sent from the evaluating agency to both the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office.
Evaluation of all foreign credentials, or those transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States. When ordering a foreign credential evaluation, please be sure that the grade point average (GPA) is calculated and included in the evaluation. Foreign credentials must be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of the NACES-approved agencies listed below:
- Josef Silny & Associates (order university course-by-course evaluation, plus GPA)
- World Education Services (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
- Evaluation Service, Inc. (order Course & Credit Report, which includes GPA)
- International Education Research Foundation (order Detail Report, which includes GPA)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (order course-by-course evaluation report, which includes GPA)
The following information to be submitted electronically to the Graduate College with your application:
- Completed online application found in the upper right-hand column of the Graduate College home page.
- Unofficial transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended may be uploaded to the online application system. However, official transcripts sent directly from the educational institution(s) are required by the Graduate College and the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Program for your application to be complete.
- A personal statement/essay of approximately 500 words.
- Current resume with all contact names and addresses.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: You may upload contact information (name, address, phone, email) for a current or former employer and a college faculty member able to evaluate your potential for success in a graduate program (two recommendations required). If you are no longer in touch with faculty members, two contact names from employers will suffice. Your contacts will be sent an email with information on how to complete the online recommendation or where to send a mailed submission.
Note: Instead of the above, you may skip this section on the application and have your recommenders mail their letters directly to the Hotel Graduate Studies Office at the address below.
- Submission of the application fee.
The following information must be sent directly to the Harrah Hotel College Graduate Studies Office and / or the graduate:
- Official test results for the GMAT (department code ZSC-37-21) sent directly from ETS
- Official copies of all transcripts sent directly from the educational institution(s)
- Two letters of recommendation (if you did not choose to enter contact information in the “Recommendation” section of the online application)
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials (see above)
Daniel McLean, Ph.D.
Professor, Director Dual MBA/MS HOA Program