Honors Students' Achievements
Honors students have received prestigious awards and have been accepted to top-notch programs and graduate schools. Read about their accomplishments.
- Arvin Akoopie, Biochemistry, University Honors, won the Richard Titus Award for Achievement in Organic Chemistry for the 2011-2012 year. The award is given annually to the best student in organic chemistry.
- Talya Alsaid-Habia, Psychology, University and Department Honors presented a poster at the 2012 Western Psychological Association Conference on computerized scoring of an emotional intelligence test. She will be presenting her thesis “Individuals with Conversion Disorder and Medical Controls: Comparing Emotional Awareness” at the 2013 Western Psychological Association Conference.
- Misha Asif, Biological Sciences, Pre-Professional, University Honors, is the president of the UNLV Chapter of the Pre Student Osteopathic Medical Association and a mentor for UNLV Best Buddies, a program that mentors underserved elementary school students across the Las Vegas Valley.
- Megan Bavaro, Mathematics, University Honors, presented research relating to tutoring and mentoring at both the 2011 and 2012 College Reading and Learning Association Conference.
- Alec Brown, Political Science, University Honors, recently completed an internship with the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Las Vegas office.
- Adrianna Guida, Hospitality Management, University Honors was a member of the NCAA sanctioned UNLV Women's Soccer team for four years and named a member of the All Mountain West Conference Academic Team every year from 2008-2012. In addition she was part of a team that presented a 60 page research report at the 2012 International Tourism Student Conference at the University of the Algarve in Faro, Portugal.
- Annie Huynh, Marketing, University Honors, is president of the UNLV chapter of the American Marketing Association and will be participating in the 2013 AMA Case Team event. She is the lead Ambassador for the Lee Business School and part of the inaugural Global Entrepreneurship Experience Program Cohort.
- Saxon Lewis, Music, University Honors performed at the 2012 International Tuba and Euphonium Conference in Linz, Austria as well as the 2010 International Tuba and Euphonium Conference in Tucson, Arizona.
- Stephen McHargue, Electrical Engineering, University Honors has accepted a position at , Hoover Dam. Stephen has served as the Vice President of Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honors Society for two years, been the President of the UNLV Tennis Club for three years, and studied Sustainable Energy in Bilboa Spain as part of a summer study abroad program.
- Ashley Seda, Business, University Honors, was recently elected as UNLV Panhellenic Council's Vice President of Recruitment. She is a member of the Business Global Entrepreneurship Experience program and recently won first place in UNLV's Global Entrepreneurship Experience Innovation Tournament. She is the recipient of a UNLV Housing and Residential Life Leading by Example Award as well as a Undergraduate Inter-fraternity Institute Scholarship Winner.
- Brian Trinh, Philosophy, University Honors, represented UNLV at the Brain and Cognitive Sciences research program at MIT in the summer of 2011, taught an Advanced Higher Religious, Moral, and Philosophical Education class (equivalent to the 12th grade) at St Andrews University, in Scotland during Fall 2012, served as treasurer for the Neuroscience Journal Club, and secretary for Spectrum, the LGBT organization at UNLV.
- Alexandra Wheatley, Biological Sciences-Microbiology, University Honors has authored an article to be published in Procedia Earth and Planetary Science journal.