Organizations & Activities
Free Bagels and Coffee last week of instruction
Please join the GPSA Thursday, December 5th from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. for the end-of-semester social at Macayo's. Located at 1375 E. Tropicana. Please post this flyer in your area.
Community Service Committee
The GPSA Community Service Committee has participated in events for the UNLV Food Pantry, Habitat for Humanity, Red Rock Clean-Up, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and the AFAN Annual AIDS walk. Check this page for upcoming community service events.
GPSA Recognized Organizations
The GPSA recognizes organized groups of currently enrolled UNLV graduate & professional students that have a commitment to academics, diversity, leadership development, service and/or student involvement. The GPSA does not provide funding for student organizations. However your group may be eligible for funding offered through the Office of Civic Engagement and Diversity. Please see information below for funding opportunities.
Becoming a GPSA Recognized Student Organization
Student organizations must have a total voting membership of at least 50 percent graduate or professional students with at least five (5) active members.
In order to become a GPSA recognized organization you must submit your organization’s proposed Constitution and Bylaws to the GPSA. The documents will be reviewed by the GPSA Executive Board. You must then complete steps one and two below under "How to Register". From there the student organization will be placed on the GPSA Council agenda for approval
To register or renew your group, follow these steps:
Steps to Register Online
Complete both steps 1 and 2 each semester (Spring and Fall) before the registration deadline.
- Registration Session: Please send at least one delegate to each registration session each Fall and Spring semester (if you are sending an officer please bring any new members that are available to help with transitions). Dates of the registration session are posted each semester.
- Organization Profile: The Administrator of the group needs to update/renew group profile on the UNLV Involvement Center.
- Log into MyUNLV, and click UNLV Involvement Center.
- Click on Organizations and scroll to the organization you wish to update and click the registration button
- For new organization, click Organizations and scroll down the left hand side and click the Register a New Organization button
Dates of the registration session are posted each semester. If you have a scheduling conflict with those dates, please contact Katy Armstrong, by email or 702-895-2508. She can arrange an individual meeting.
- At least 5 UNLV active student members
- President (or equivalent UNLV student member) name, Rebelmail, phone number
- Vice President (or equivalent UNLV student member) name, and Rebelmail
- Treasurer or financial officer (must be a UNLV student different from President)
- Faculty/staff advisor name, email, phone number, UNLV title (must be full time faculty or staff)
Services Rendered to GPSA-Recognized Student Organizations
- Listing on GPSA website with hyperlink to your student organization's website
- Posting of organization's meeting dates and events in the Graduate Student Commons, LLB 2141, and the quarterly GPSA newsletter (if requested)
- Usage of SORCE room located on the 3rd floor in the Student Union, i.e. access to phone banks, computer lab, materials and other resources.
- An on-line portal for your organization to aid in recruitment, marketing and organization management
- Promotion on the Get Involved website and additional marketing options
- Access to materials and resources in the Student Organization Resource Center (SORCE)
- A mailbox in the Student Organization Resource Center (SORCE)
- The opportunity to schedule events and eligibility for reduced setup fees in Student Affairs facilities and green space on campus. Organization administrator must update Scheduling Liaisons (people designated for the organization to make marketing and space reservation requests on campus) whenever needed. This form is located in the organization portal under Tools; Forms.
- Free registration for student organization information fairs
Student Organization Funding Opportunity
The GPSA does not provide funding to GPSA recognized student organizations. However some funding is available through the Student Funding Board. This entity exists to provide funding to registered student organizations (RSO's) to develop or improve programs and initiatives as well as support organization development through conference attendance. Through funds allocated through the Office of Civic Engagement and Diversity, this committee strives to support registered student organization development and growth.
Funding Eligibility Requirement:
The Student Funding Board will accept applications from programs, events, and conferences that Registered Student Organizations wish to host. Only Registered Student Organizations are eligible to apply. A Registered Student Organization may only receive funds from the board once per academic year.
To be considered for any funding from the Student Funding Board, organizations must complete the student funding board proposal form that can be found on the UNLV Involvement Center under "Campus Links."
The board meets six times throughout the academic year (see dates below)
- Board will invite the applicant to give a 5 minute presentation about the event, program, or conference
- The board will then have 5 minutes to ask any questions to the applicant.
- After the question and answer portion is complete, the applicant will be dismissed from the board.
- At this point, the board will discuss and vote on the funding request and notify the applicant via email within 72hrs meeting.
- The Office of Civic Engagement and Diversity will handle the reimbursement or purchasing process for the board.
- Must be a Registered Student Organization
- Must be a student led event or program, or student based conference
- Amount disbursed is on a case by case basis and is based upon the number of applicants received
- The board reserves the right to change requested funding amounts
- If the organization that is sponsored with these funds neglects to turn in the follow up documentation (see reimbursement process) within 6 weeks of the completed program or event, they will not be eligible for funding the following academic year.