Toolkit: Finance and Budget Management
Here is where the business manager will find answers to questions such as:
- What are the policies for hiring an independent contractor?
- Where do I find out what funds are available in my unit’s accounts?
- How do I pay for flowers sent to a sick staff member?
- When is a payment voucher needed?
- Who do I go to for a budget transfer between expense accounts?
Business Operations Guide — A quick reference guide for new business managers.
General Campus Information for Financial/Resource Administrators — Letter from the UNLV Controller.
Financial Management Systems
- Advantage (financial accounting software) — Advantage is UNLV’s accounting software that performs the accounting functions, including processing transactions, transferring funds, posting to the general ledger, updating files and summarizing results.
- Business Information and Decision Support System (financial data warehouse) — The financial data warehouse houses all of the financial information processed in Advantage, including account detail (budget, revenue, expenses, encumbrances) by fund, agency and organization (department), as well as position status, payroll information and chart of accounts. In addition, data warehouse gives users report writing options based on user-selected criteria. All information is updated nightly from Advantage and is in a “read only” format.
Public Records Requests — Any UNLV employee receiving a request for records, under the provisions of the Nevada Public Records Act, should promptly direct the request to the Office of Media Relations or ask the requestor to fill out the public records request form.
Budget — The Budget Office is responsible for both state supported and self-supporting budgets, including maintaining accurate budget information for positions. Learn more in the provided links about what these are and the policies and procedures for developing, managing and reporting budget information.
- Administrative Overhead Assessment
- Frequently asked questions
- Self supporting budgets
- Position Budgets
Accounts Payable — The Accounts Payable department is responsible for timely and accurate processing and payment of UNLV’s financial obligations in compliance with federal, state and university policies and regulations.