Financial Aid & Scholarships

You are here

The Federal Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for an extremely limited amount of undergraduate and graduate students with financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Work study is a highly popular program and the majority of students and UNLV Departments will not receive any awards/students from this program because of insufficient federal funds.

Requirements to Work

You must meet all the eligibility criteria required for receipt of federal aid, including the Financial Aid & Scholarships Satisfactory Academic Progress policy (SAP), and you must:

  • Enroll at least half time (6 credits for undergraduates; 5 credits for graduates) to be eligible for work study for the Fall and Spring semesters. Enroll in at least one credit to be eligible for work study for the Summer semester. Summer work study students who are enrolled for at least one credit must submit a Financial Aid Summer Application. If a Summer work study student is not enrolled, (s)he must submit a Work Study Employment: Not Enrolled Summer Semester 2014 With An Intent to Enroll Fall Semester form. A student not enrolled in the Summer semester must have previously received work study for the prior Spring semester.
  • Be approved to receive Federal Work Study by the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.
  • Priority consideration provided to students hired by the UNLV Library and Pre-School Center.

Note: Changes to any of the following can impact your eligibility for assistance and the timing of when you receive your monies:

  • Your enrollment
  • State residency
  • Housing (on campus, off campus, commuter)
  • Satisfactory academic progress standing
  • Other aid that you may be receiving

Consider these factors when planning your tuition, fees, and other university-related expenses.

To Apply

The UNLV Library and Pre-School interview and hire students based upon available positions within those areas. The names of hired students are forwarded to the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office to determine Federal Work Study Program eligibility. If the student meets work study program rules, a work study award is offered to the student at that time.

If there are any remaining work study positions available after priority consideration for the UNLV Library and Pre-School has concluded (usually by the end of July), the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office will review extremely limited requests from other UNLV Departments to consider hiring a potential work study student. UNLV Departments and students should go on the assumption no funds would be available.

Hours

The amount you earn cannot exceed your total work study award for the school year. UNLV limits the amount a student can work no more than 20 hours a week from all UNLV employment opportunities.

Salary

Federal Work Study wages are taxable by the Internal Revenue Service for federal income tax purposes. Once you are hired into a Federal Work Study job and have completed all needed payroll paperwork, you will:

  • Keep a record of the hours you have worked.
  • Submit your time sheet to your employing department once every two weeks.
  • Receive a payroll check for the hours you reported.
  • Earn anywhere from $8.25 per hour to $12.75 per hour. The federal government pays 75% of your salary and the UNLV department hiring you contributes the remaining 25%.

Your Earnings Will Not

  • Be available to help pay your tuition and fees at the start of each semester.
  • Be counted against you in determining your financial aid eligibility on next year's FAFSA. When completing your FAFSA for the next upcoming school year, you can exclude your FWS earnings on the appropriate FAFSA line. Your FWS earnings can be excluded from your earned FAFSA income.