Health Professions Student Loan Program
The Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) program provides long-term, low-interest rate loans to financially needy students to help pursue a degree within the UNLV Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program. Advantages of this loan compared to other federal student loan programs:
- The interest rate is fixed at 5%
- There are no loan origination fees
- Repayment of the loan and interest does not begin until one year after you graduate or drop below full-time status
- This loan may be consolidated with other Federal Direct student loans
- You have ten years to repay this loan
- No credit check is necessary
You must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a U.S. citizen, national, or a lawful permanent resident of the United States or the District of Columbia, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico or the Marianas Islands, the Virgin Islands, Guam, the American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Federated State of Micronesia
- You must be considered a third or fourth year student within the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program
- If you are a male student, you must have registered for Selective Service program
- You must not be in default on any previously disbursed federal student loan
- You must enroll and complete full time credit hours each semester within the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program
- Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be received by February 1st for the upcoming award year with a $0 expected student contribution for priority consideration
- Your parent(s) financial information must also be collected on the HPSL application form to determine overall financial need for this loan. Even though you are considered an independent student for financial aid purposes, the U.S. Department of Education requires parental information to be reviewed.
- The collection of parental information is federal law and cannot be waived
- If your parent(s) refuse to provide income information, such a refusal cannot be accepted in lieu of the required parental information
- If both parents are deceased, death certificates must be provided for HPSL program consideration
How Much Can I Borrow?
Funds available within the HPSL program vary each year. The amount available to offer students is based upon prior HPSL recipients repaying previously borrowed funds. Not all students who meet the criteria can be offered a loan through the HPSL program because of limited funds.
HPSL award example: The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office may offer eligible students up to $5,000 during the 2013-2014 school year.
How To Apply
Complete this form and submit all information to the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. HPSL funds will be offered to students on a first come, first available basis.
What Happens Next If I Am Offered HPSL Funds?
If you are offered HPSL funds, your financial aid award package will be updated within your MyUNLV account. You have the right to cancel this loan within 14 days after you see the HPSL funds offered to you within your MyUNLV account. Each year, before you HPSL funds can disburse to your account, you must:
- Complete an online Entrance Loan Counseling session with Educational Computer Systems Incorporated (ECSI)
- Complete an online Promissory Note with Educational Computer Systems Incorporated (ECSI)