The purpose of a UNLV emergency loan is to provide enrolled students limited, short-term financial assistance. Emergency loan proceeds must be used for educational-related expenses such as housing, utilities, day care, books, tuition, and transportation costs necessary to attend UNLV.
Emergency loans are limited and students cannot borrow more than $200. There is a $1 fee for every $100 borrowed. Only one emergency loan may be issued per semester.
Most emergency loans must be paid back within 30 days, sometimes earlier, depending upon the application submission date. Go to the Cashiering and Student Accounts Office, first floor, Student Services Complex (SSC) to repay your loan.
Emergency Loan Application Periods Vary by the Semester
- An application can be submitted one week before classes begin. However, funds will not be released until the first day of classes.
- In general, no emergency loan applications can be processed within 30-45 days of fall or spring semester ending. Please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships for a more precise date if you desire an emergency loan near the end of the fall or spring semester.
- The availability of summer term emergency loan funds will depend upon the summer session the student is attending. Please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships for questions.
Obtaining an emergency loan is a large responsibility. Failure to pay back your loan will result in losing university privileges such as being able to register for classes, transcript request holds, and collection costs to satisfy your financial obligation.
Emergency loans are not processed the same day. If a completed application is received by 1 p.m., the loan proceeds are usually available after noon the next business day in the Cashiering and Student Accounts Office, first floor, Student Services Complex (SSC). Emergency loan applications received after 1 p.m. will take two business days to process.
- Must be an undergraduate student.
- Must be enrolled in at least six credit hours for the current semester at the time you apply.
- Must have a 2.0 or higher cumulative UNLV GPA.
- Must not owe any money to UNLV.
- Must not have a UNLV administrative hold on your record.
- Must not have received a financial aid refund in excess of $1,000 within six weeks of the date you apply for an emergency loan.
- Must have a satisfactory payment history with UNLV and have never defaulted or been late on a previous emergency loan.
- Must be admitted into a degree-seeking or certificate program.
- Must be able to document how you will repay the emergency loan (approved financial aid that has not yet disbursed is an allowable means of repayment).
- Must be meeting Financial Aid & Scholarships satisfactory academic progress requirements.
All emergency loan applications must be reviewed by a financial aid counselor. Students who do not talk with a financial aid counselor when submitting their emergency loan application will not have their loan processed.
You may apply by visiting the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. Financial aid representatives are available at 702-895-3424 if you have questions. An original signature and submission of the completed appeal to a financial aid counselor are required.