Financial Aid Disbursement
What offices help create your direct deposit or refund check?
The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office transmits (disburses) your financial aid awards electronically to the Cashiering & Student Accounts Office several times per week. When this transfer occurs, your financial aid will credit to your UNLV billing statement.
The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office does not create your physical direct deposit or paper refund check. The Cashiering and Student Accounts Office is responsible for this transaction.
Even though the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office disburses financial aid several times per week to the Cashiering & Student Accounts Office, electronic direct deposit refunds or paper refund checks occur once per week.
To have your financial aid pay or get a direct deposit or paper refund check
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress to keep your financial aid eligibility.
- Check your admission status. Non-admitted/non-degree-seeking students cannot receive federal, state, and institutional aid and most scholarships.
- Make sure that the residency status we awarded you with, Nevada, Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), Good Neighbor, or Out-of-State, is correct. If your award details show a different residency status, you will need to contact our office.
- Have completed Entrance Loan Counseling and completed the electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) if you are a first-time subsidized or unsubsidized loan borrower.
- Millennium eligible students must be full-time student and have completed the Millennium Acknowledgement form. See Avoid Delays for more information.
- Make sure you have no outstanding "To Do" items listed in MyUNLV.
Electronic Direct Deposit Refund
If financial aid disburses by 9am on a Friday, any refund will generally be credited to your bank account by the following Monday or Tuesday. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to receive a financial aid refund when your financial aid exceeds the amount owed on your Cashiering and Student Accounts billing statement.
Sign up for Direct Deposit via MyUNLV.
Paper Refund Checks
Paper refund checks are created once per week. A paper refund check is issued when your financial aid exceeds the amount owed on your Cashiering and Student Accounts billing statement.
If financial aid disburses by 9am on a Friday, most refund checks will be mailed the following Monday. If the financial aid disbursement occurred after 9am on a Friday, the paper refund check may take up to two weeks to be processed and mailed to you.
Paper refund checks are mailed to the address you have on file with UNLV the first day of classes. Direct deposit are more timely, please sign up through MyUNLV.
Check Your Billing Statement
Online through MyUNLV disbursed aid will show up as a credit on your bill (excluding Work Study). Check your To Do items if you have aid that has not disbursed.
Financial aid begins disbursing no sooner than 10 calendar days before school begins.