Undergraduate Theory Placement ExamWhen: Aug. 21, 2013, 9am - 12pm
Campus Location: Alta Ham Fine Arts
Office/Remote Location: Room 147
This exam tests the student’s level of theory knowledge and ear training and determines if he/she needs to take an introductory music theory course.
The test will take place on Wed., Aug. 21, 9 a.m., HFA room 147.
Students may not retake placement exam or take it later than the first semester of matriculation. Students who don’t take this test need to register for MUS 102E and MUS 102F.
To prepare for this test, it is recommended that students review:
- Recognition (aural and visual) and writing of key signatures of all major and minor keys in treble and bass clef
- Recognition (aural and visual) and writing of scales, intervals, and triads in root position and inversions in treble and bass clef
- Ability to sight read and play at the keyboard basic music notation in treble and bass clef
- Ability to play at the keyboard and aurally differentiate intervals in one octave, triads (major, minor, augmented, diminished), and scales (major, natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor)
- Ability to take melodic dictation of simple diatonic melodies or rhythmic phrases in binary and ternary meters
Lynn, Theodore A. Introductory Musicianship. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2011.
Ottman, Robert W., and Nancy Rogers. Music for Sight Singing. Boston: Prentice Hall, 2011.
Name: Diego Vega
Office: Department of Music
Event Sponsor: Department of Music
- Fall Semester Ends
- Residence Hall Move-out
Starts Dec. 14, 2013, 12pm
Ends Dec. 14, 2013, 12pm
- Winter 2013 Commencement
Starts Dec. 17, 2013, 4pm
Ends Dec. 17, 2013, 4pm
- FAFSA Workshop
Starts Jan. 07, 2014, 5pm
Ends Jan. 07, 2014, 8pm
- Campus Venues
- Driving and Parking Tips
- Museums & Galleries
- Performing Arts Center
- Visit Campus
Check out student organizations at UNLV.