Talk on Climate Change Perception/Support in Rural NevadaWhen: Dec. 2, 2013, 11:30am - 12:30pm
Campus Location: William D. Carlson Education
Office/Remote Location: Room 218
The UNLV department of anthropology presents: "Climate change perception and policy support in rural Nevada: Contrasting Ranchers/Farmers and Native Americans," a talk by Dr. William J. Smith Jr., department of anthropology, UNLV.
As climate change research burgeons at a remarkable pace, it is intersecting with research regarding indigenous and rural people in fascinating ways. Yet, there remains a significant gap in integrated quantitative and qualitative methods for studying rural climate change perception and policy support, especially with regard to Native Americans. The objectives of this presentation are to utilize our multi-method approach of integrating surveys, interviews, video, literature and fieldwork in innovative ways to:
1) Address the aforementioned gap in rural studies, while advancing knowledge regarding effective methodologies for investigation of linkages between socio-political variables and climate change perceptions; and 2) Perform comparative primary research regarding the climate change assumptions, risk perceptions, policy preferences, observations and knowledge among rural Nevada’s tribes and tribal environmental leaders, ranchers and farmers, and America’s general public. The results of this study have ramifications for similar regions and populations, particularly in the U.S. Southwest.
This event is free and open to the public.
Name: Peter Gray
Office: WRI A126
Event Sponsor: Department of Anthropology
- Guest Lecture: Charlie Blaich …
Starts Apr. 17, 2014, 9am
Ends Apr. 17, 2014, 10:30am
- How to Help a Friend With Addi…
Starts Apr. 17, 2014, 6pm
Ends Apr. 17, 2014, 7pm
- UNLV Academic Achievement Gala
Starts Apr. 17, 2014, 4pm
Ends Apr. 17, 2014, 7:30pm
- BMI Presents: Robert Coover
Starts Apr. 17, 2014, 7pm
Ends Apr. 17, 2014, 8:30pm
- Campus Venues
- Driving and Parking Tips
- Museums & Galleries
- Performing Arts Center
- Visit Campus
Check out student organizations at UNLV.