“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’” – Martin Luther King Jr.
UNLV is celebrating the life of Martin Luther King Jr. by providing the MLK Day of Service. We will be serving to empower and strengthen our community.
Below is a list of the events where you can volunteer.
Project 1 – Boys & Girls Club Family Dinner
- The mission of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Las Vegas is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
Our project will be assisting Boys & Girls Club staff with a Family Day for their club members and their families. Volunteers will be playing games and leading arts and crafts activities with club members, while their parents attend a financial program put on by US Bank. Volunteers may also be asked to assist with the BBQ planned.
- Date & Time: 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. on Sat., Jan. 21
- Location: John D. "Jackie" Gaughan Clubhouse on 920 Cottage Grove Ave., Las Vegas, NV 89119
- Attire: Wear comfortable clothes appropriate for working with children that you don’t mind getting messy.
Project 2 – Tonopah Community Garden
- Info: Tonopah Community Garden's mission is to bring personal and social change through sustainable urban agriculture. Located off Bonanza Road and Tonopah Drive, the garden is central to West Las Vegas, a historically lower income community. Urban gardening is an effective way to teach communities the necessities of healthy eating.
Our project will be assisting the garden in the distribution of mulch from recycled Christmas trees and the regular maintenance and cleaning of the grounds.
- Date & Time: 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Sat., Jan. 21
- Location: 715 N. Tonapah Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89106
- Attire: Wear comfortable clothes appropriate for working outside and getting dirty.
Do you have a project or an idea for a project that may be done on this day, but don’t know how to get started? Let us know. We can help!
MLK Day of Service is coordinated by the Office of Civic Engagement & Diversity along with Rebel Service Council.
Thanks to our sponsors in the Office of Diversity Initiatives, each participant will receive a UNLVolunteers shirt.