In celebration of the approaching 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act, the UNLV Office of Diversity Initiatives and the Wiener-Rogers Law Library at the William S. Boyd School of Law present "Created Equal: America's Civil Rights Struggle." This will feature a screening of excerpts from the documentary film, "Freedom Riders," followed by a discussion.
- Hannah Brown, local civic and community leader
- Jean Childs, former director of Region IX Head Start
- Joseph M. Neal, Jr., former Nevada State Senator
- David Tanenhaus, chair of UNLV’s history department
- James E. Rogers, professor of history and law
Light refreshments will be served.
Supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, "Created Equal" encourages communities across the country to revisit the history of civil rights in America and to reflect on the ideals of freedom and equality that have helped bridge deep racial and cultural divides in our civic life.