Minority-Serving Institution (MSI)
UNLV has been designated a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) by the U.S. Department of Education and is now competing for grants under Title III & Title V of the Higher Education Act.
What is MSI?
Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs) are U.S colleges and universities that enroll a high percentage of minority students. Because minority populations have experienced disproportionate barriers to higher education, the federal government provides financial support through various titles of the Higher Education Act. MSIs include Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs), as well as colleges and universities with high enrollments of Native Americans, Asian Americans and Native American Pacific Islanders, and Alaska Natives and Native Hawaiians.
UNLV Designated MSI
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) applied for and achieved designation from the Department of Education as a Title III & Title V Minority Serving Institution (MSI) in December of 2012.
Qualification for this designation requires that institutions meet specific primary indicators that include diversity of the student body by race and ethnicity and students qualifying for federal assistance under Federal Pell Grant, Federal College Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.
UNLV meets the requirements as an Asian American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and is an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
What does this mean for UNLV?
We can now compete for new grants under Title III & Title V but in order to be competitive, we must be able to show institutional commitment and support for these student populations.
UNLV Minority Statics
- U.S. News Ranks UNLV Among Nation's Most Diverse Universities for Undergrads
- 51 percent of undergrads reported being part of a racial or ethnic minority. Of that, Hispanic students make up the largest minority under-graduate student group at UNLV at 19 percent.
MSI Task Force
The MSI Task Force provides institutional oversight, leadership, and support for establishing UNLV as a leading Title III and Title V - Minority Serving Institution. The task force includes representatives from the following organizations.
- Office of Diversity Initiatives
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the President
- Division of Student Affairs
- Academic Success Center
- Office of Decision Support
- Honors College
- Graduate College
- Multicultural Programs for Engineering, Sciences & Allied Health
- Faculty Leadership
- Student Leadership
- Community & Industry Leadership
- Title III: Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISI)
- Title V: Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI)
- Minority Serving Institutions (MSI)
- Learning Retention Attainment
- MSIs - Doing More With Less
- MSIs - Educating All Students
- Narrating Student Successes
- Using Educational Data