Patient Rights & Responsibilities
The faculty, staff, and student providers of the UNLV School of Dental Medicine are here to provide you with the best dental treatment possible. We believe that because you have entrusted us with your oral health care, you have a just claim, or right, to receive the following considerations from the UNLV School of Dental Medicine.
You have the right to:
- The most appropriate care the school can provide for your problem, without regard to race, sex, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, or disability;
- Considerate, respectful and confidential treatment;
- Continuity and completion of treatment;
- Access to complete and current information about your condition;
- Advance knowledge of the cost of treatment and explanation of your treatment fees;
- Explanations of recommended treatment, alternate treatment, the option to refuse treatment and the risk of no treatment;
- Emergency, incremental and total patient care;
- Treatment that meets the standards of care in the profession;
- Access to a patient advocate.
In return for the above considerations, the faculty, staff, and student providers of the UNLV School of Dental Medicine have a just claim, or right, to expect that you, the patient, will fulfill the following responsibilities in order to help us accomplish our mutual goal of providing you with the best dental treatment possible.
Your responsibilities include:
- Providing accurate and complete information about your medical history;
- Questioning treatment or instructions you do not understand;
- Keeping scheduled appointments and providing at least 48 hours notice if you need to cancel an appointment;
- Providing information about your payment for services and working with the UNLV School of Dental Medicine to ensure that financial obligations are met;
- Recognizing that the UNLV School of Dental Medicine is an educational institution and that dental treatment may proceed at a pace slower than sometimes anticipated;
- Understanding that there are limits to the success or permanence of any dental treatment.