Doctor of Philosophy in Kinesiology
The Ph.D. program is designed specifically for professionals who desire tenure track research and/or teaching positions in post-secondary education. The Ph.D. program offers academic concentrations in biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor control/learning and physical activity. Note that applicants are strongly encouraged to have a faculty member identified (cooperatively) to serve as their mentor/advisor prior to application.
- Kinesiology Content Knowledge
- Demonstrate a broad conceptual knowledge of the Kinesiology field of study and develop related disciplinary content knowledge expertise in Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Motor Control/Learning, or Physical Activity.
- Effectively Communicate Knowledge in the Discipline
- Demonstrate the ability to write and speak about current scholarship and issues of the discipline to peers, practitioners, and the public.
- Research Design
- Understand concepts pertinent to experimental research design relative to controlling internal and external threats to validity.
- Research Methods
- Understand and applying sound scientific methodology to pursue a research question.
A Ph.D. in Kinesiology qualifies the graduate to pursue career options focused in teaching/research within the academic, commercial, and fitness industries.