Minor in Problem Gambling
This minor will provide students with a thorough understanding of client-oriented counseling modalities and strategies. The courses in the minor will provide students with the skills to utilize and interpret assessment tools and provide treatment planning. Students will learn characteristics of compulsive behavior, stages of progression, distinctions and connections to other addictions.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness, knowledge, and interest in the social and clinical areas of addiction;
- Discuss the ethical issues relevant to the area of addictions;
- Demonstrate knowledge about the economic and social consequences of addictions in contemporary society;
- Enhance students’ knowledge of the emotional and psychological demands for the successful practice in addictions counseling;
- Understand the unique issues regarding addiction and people who are from cultural diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the regulations and laws that govern addiction counseling.