Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education
The Department of Teaching & Learning is dedicated to preparing students to excel as Secondary teachers. Students who complete this program will earn a bachelor’s degree and be licensed as a grade 6-12 teacher by the State of Nevada. Students who already have a degree and want to become a Secondary teacher, need to take course work through the teacher licensure program. Every student who intends to receive a degree in Secondary Education from UNLV is required to meet course requirements for a First Teaching Field. Second Teaching fields are optional.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the subject matter that they teach as described in professional and institutional standards.
- Effectively plan classroom-based instruction utilizing effective instructional practices.
- Practice evidence-based decision-making through the use of formative and summative assessments as well as the critical interpretation of research and inquiry in order to improve educational practice.
- Demonstrate understanding of learners and their social, cultural, and language contexts with a global perspective and intentional sensitivity to other cultures.
- Integrate technology in instruction to support student learning and develop data-driven solutions for instructional and school improvement.
Possible career options after receiving this degree:
- Teacher in a secondary school in public or private institutions
- Educational content specialist
Secondary Page Right Photo
Plans of Study
- 2015-16, Biology
- 2015-16, English
- 2015-16, General Science
- 2015-16, Math
- 2015-16, Physical Science
- 2015-16, Social Studies
- 2012-14, Biology
- 2012-14, Earth Science
- 2012-14, English
- 2012-14, General Science
- 2012-14, Math
- 2012-14, Physical Science
- 2012-14, Social Science
- 2010-12, Biology
- 2010-12, Earth Science
- 2010-12, English
- 2010-12, General Science
- 2010-12, Math
- 2010-12, Physical Science
- 2010-12, Social Science