Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies
The Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Studies is intended to provide students with a technical foundation in physical and biological sciences as well as social sciences to prepare for a career in the field of environmental management. Students are expected to integrate knowledge and skills from multiple disciplines in order to understand the relationship between humans and their environment.
Upon completing a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Studies, a student will be able to:
- Understand and apply fundamental theories from the natural sciences and social sciences to environmental issues and identify the multiple dimensions of environment issues.
- Use models and other decision support methods to analyze environmental issues and contribute to management decisions.
- Identify technical and socioeconomic trade-offs associated with diverse approaches to environmental management and develop innovative, creative, adaptive solutions to environmental issues.
- Identify and understand practical issues currently faced by environmental decision makers.
- Design and complete a senior research project addressing a question related to the environment and career goals, through which the student will:
- Identify and utilize the scientific method to conduct research on an environmental issue,
- Demonstrate the ability to locate and access information on an environmental issue.
- Demonstrate technical skills required for basic fieldwork, laboratory experiments, and/or other data acquisition and analysis.
- Demonstrate proficiency in technical writing and oral presentation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in calculus (integration and differentiation) and physics.
- Have the skills and qualifications to compete for alternative career options as an environmental professional, including positions requiring quantitative analytical skills.
The following job titles are related to the field of environmental studies. Some may require study beyond the undergraduate level. This is not a complete list of possible careers for environmental studies graduates but simply provides some suggestions of potential career options.
- Management Analyst
- Research Analyst
- Sustainability Officer
- Agricultural Manager
- Conservation Scientists and Forester
- Environmental Scientist
- Farmers and Ranchers
- Policy Analyst
- Environmental Analyst
- Conservation Manager
- Urban Planner
- Environmental Manager
- Environmental Educator