Bachelor of Science in Comprehensive Medical Imaging
The comprehensive medical imaging program at UNLV is an innovative academic program designed to educate students in a foundation of mathematics and the sciences applicable to the interdisciplinary and applied science of diagnostic imaging. The program currently offers theoretical and clinical course work in the advanced level modalities of Computed Tomography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Ultrasound. Graduates of the Program will meet the demand for professional personnel to perform patient imaging procedures on state-of-the-art advanced imaging systems, process and enhance computer images, prepare and administer contrast agents, maintain strict quality control guidelines, and conduct research in the comprehensive medical imaging area.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology of importance to imaging professionals.
- Familiarity with the law and ethics applicable to imaging professionals.
- Familiarity with the structure and organization of hospital imaging departments.
- Knowledge of basic patient care procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of the fundamental principles and techniques of the student’s chosen imaging modality (CT, MRI, or Ultrasound).
- Basic knowledge of the fundamental principles and techniques of all the major imaging modalities including, CT, MRI, Ultrasound and nuclear medicine (PET and SPECT).
- Understanding of the basic principles associated with radiation science and safety.
- Knowledge of the chemical and biological effects of radiation.
- Understanding of basic sectional (transverse, sagittal and coronal) anatomy in medical imaging.
- Obtain a strong foundation in the basic sciences.
The employment outlook in comprehensive medical imaging is excellent. Radiology administrators and physicians in hospitals and outpatient clinics have responded to the concerns of cost containment and competition by seeking prospective employees who can demonstrate competency in a variety of imaging areas. The comprehensive imaging program at UNLV provides an opportunity for students to become competent professionals in multiple diagnostic modalities within the framework of a strong baccalaureate program.
Job opportunities for graduates may be found in:
- major medical centers
- smaller hospitals
- independent imaging centers
Opportunities are also available for obtaining positions in clinical research and administration.