Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art; Concentration in Graphic Design
The Department of Art offers its students an education in the visual arts as an integral part of a comprehensive educational experience. Our degree programs offer intense, professional education in the aesthetics and theories of the visual arts. Additionally, students will be trained in the skill and intellectual awareness that are the basis for a future of creative and professional achievement in the visual arts.
At UNLV the BFA is an additional year of study during which time students have an opportunity to focus more intensively on developing their skills and creativity. Admission to the BFA program is by portfolio review.
Graphic Design concentration
The graphic design concentration prepares students for careers in design and creative visual media fields. The curriculum emphasizes hands-?on design practice integrating the building of formal and technical skills with critical analysis, theory, and research.
Upon completion of the BFA in Art with a concentration in Graphic Design, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate fluency in industry standard software applications; to design effectively in a variety of media and formats.
- Recognize and be able to interpret major works of art pertaining to the art history courses taken.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of the elements and principles of design, and their appropriate application within the context of a given design or communication problem.
- Articulate and critically respond to design and through critical dialogue.
- Assemble a quality portfolio demonstrating a range of creative strategies and effective original solutions within communication and visual design contexts.
Art Director, Graphic Designer, Web Designer, Communications Specialist, Publication Designer, Multimedia Designer