Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies
Enrollment is currently closed for this program.
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Environmental Studies is intended to provide students with a broad theoretical background in the natural sciences and social sciences, a practical understanding of environmental issues facing our world, and the skills necessary to apply this knowledge to environmental management.
Upon completing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Environmental Studies, a student will be able to:
- Understand and apply fundamental theories from the natural and social sciences to environmental issues and identify multiple dimensions of environmental issues.
- Use models and other decision support methods to analyze environmental issues and contribute to management decisions.
- Identify technical and socioeconomic trade-offs associated with diverse approaches to environmental management and develop innovative, creative, adaptive solutions to environmental issues.
- Identify and understand practical issues currently faced by environmental decision makers.
- Design and complete a senior research project addressing a question or problem related to the environment and career goals, through which the student will:
- Identify and utilize the scientific method to conduct research on an environmental issue.
- Demonstrate the ability to locate and access information on an environmental issue.
- Demonstrate technical skills required for basic fieldwork, laboratory experiments, and/or acquisition and analysis of other relevant data.
- Demonstrate proficiency in technical writing and oral presentation.
- Have the skills and qualifications to compete for alternative career options as an environmental professional.
The Environmental Studies program is designed to prepare students for multiple career options. Some career paths may require study beyond the undergraduate level.
- Field Ecologist
- Business Manager or Entrepreneur
- Policy Analyst
- Environmental Analyst
- Conservation Manager
- Urban Planner
- Environmental Manager
- Environmental Educator
- Environmental Specialist
- Group Facilitator