Rebels in Action — Fall 2007
Degree: '89 BS Business Administration in Accounting
Occupation: CPA; partner in Rich, Wightman & Company CPAs with alumnus Mark Rich, '79 BS Business
Administration in Accounting membership status: Joint lifetime member with spouse since 1989
Family: Wife, Lisa Wightman, '89 BS Business Administration in Finance; daughter, Kelli, 11; and son, Brian, 6.
Hometown: Las Vegas
- Why did you join the alumni association?
- I joined right out of school. Early in your career, you're trying to establish yourself with as many people as you can. Events such as tailgating are a fun environment and a stress-free way to meet and interact with people.
- Why is participating with the alumni association important?
- My statement to all alumni, period, is to participate in the games and the alumni events. Just filling the stands is a huge way to support the university. You get a ton out of it. There's a camaraderie that develops when current students see a guy my age who's cheering on the new student-athletes. Older universities have established traditions. Because we're such a young university, we have a great opportunity. This current alumni group is the one creating the traditions.
- What association events and programs have you been a part of?
- I've served on the planned giving committee and encouraged friends, colleagues, and clients to contribute back to UNLV.
- How has being an active alumni association member benefited you?
- In business, it's helpful to have those relationships with other alumni. Two past UNLV coaches are now clients of our firm. And we have so many alumni working here at our firm — at least three-quarters of our employees are UNLV graduates. I participated recently in a fundraiser for the I-15 Foundation, which was started by former UNLV soccer player Daniel Barber to help local youth. Truthfully, we had two buses almost full of UNLV people going out to golf in Primm as part of the fundraiser. Alumni support other alumni's philanthropic efforts.
- How do you show your Rebel pride?
- We recently completed an addition to our facility with a large break room. We have a basketball theme in there, and dead smack in the middle, we embedded a Hey Reb! image in the flooring material. Coach (Lon) Kruger came out and gave us jerseys with "Rich" and "Wightman" on them.
Tell Us What's New
Each day, UNLV alumni find new ways to demonstrate their leadership, ingenuity, and passion.
This can mean anything from making a revolutionary scientific discovery to leading corporations or experiencing the fulfillment of raising a family.
Whatever is new in your life, we'd love to hear about it.
So send us an update on your achievements and you may become a featured story in the UNLV Alumni Profile section.