University Advancement

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to our most frequently asked questions are listed below. If you don't see the answer to your question, feel free to contact us.

What is United Way of Southern Nevada and why should I invest?
United Way of Southern Nevada is a local nonprofit organization that evaluates and monitors nonprofits, and collects and redistributes donations. By partnering with businesses, individuals, government and other nonprofits, United Way pools resources to minimize fundraising costs to local nonprofit organizations.
Can I designate my gift to a UNLV school, college, department or program through United Way?
Absolutely. Mark your designation next to UNLV’s Invent the Future. UNLV programs qualify for 501(c)3 nonprofit status. Please note, in accordance with IRS guidelines, you may not designate your gift to programs or accounts where you have budgetary signature authority.
How do I make my gift?
If you are making a gift through payroll deduction, indicate the amount you wish to donate per pay period on the form.

If you are making a one-time gift, simply fill out the pledge form and return it along with your cash or check. If using a credit card, please make sure the number is legible. Select the partner agency, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, or UNLV’s Invent the Future to designate your gift, if desired. Sign the form and keep a copy for your records. Return the original to box 1010 – alumni & external relations.
How do I make sure my gift doesn’t go to an agency or program I don’t wish to support?
If there is a program you do not wish to support, simply note it on the pledge form.
How much of my donation goes towards paying administrative costs?
To cover the cost of printing campaign materials, researching and monitoring nonprofits, and administering donations, the United Way of Southern Nevada retains 15% of your contribution.
Is my United Way contribution tax deductible as a charitable donation?
Yes, your contribution is fully tax deductible. See your tax professional for more information.
I am already on a tight budget. How can I afford to make a donation?
Even a modest designation such as $2, $5, or $10 per pay period can help to meet the most critical needs in our community. By investing through payroll deduction, you can spread your investment over the coming year.