You are here

Transfer FAQ

Transferring into the school that will become your alma mater is exciting — and also a bit confusing. Don't think you're the only one with questions about the process and experience of transferring. Please peruse the list of frequently asked questions below, and if you don't find the question or answer you're looking for, contact us directly and we'll give you the help you need.

How can I be certain that I will be accepted to the university when I am ready to transfer?

Students may transfer to UNLV at any time, and consideration is objective. If you meet the criteria for admission, you will be accepted.

Please note that all students that have earned an Associate of Arts, Associate of Business, or Associate of Science from an NSHE college are automatically admitted by UNLV and are given credit for meeting all of the general education core curriculum requirements.

If I have an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) or an Associate of General Studies (AGS) from an NSHE college, can I transfer to UNLV?

Admission is not guaranteed for the AAS or AGS in the same way as the AA, AB, or AS. A student with the AAS or AGS must meet the admissions requirements.

Will the grades I transfer to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, count in my UNLV GPA?

Grades for the courses you transfer to UNLV will be used only to determine your transfer GPA for the purpose of admission. The UNLV GPA does not include grades from other institutions.

Do I need to meet the minimum grade point average required for the major at the university?

In addition to the university-required admissions GPA of 2.5, particular majors may set an entrance GPA requirement suitable for the field. Please note than if an applicant meets the university GPA admission requirement but not the GPA for his or her intended major, the applicant is still admissible to UNLV. Once admitted, a student will work with their academic advisor for major-specific requirements.

How do the courses that I have taken apply to the major and the degree that I am interested in at the university?

Even though there are some similarities within the required general education core requirements, every major at the university will have its own degree-specific requirements. It is very important that students refer to the UNLV Undergraduate Catalog, which outlines the course of study for each undergraduate degree. Once admitted, a student will work with their academic advisor to create an academic plan.

Do you accept credits from universities outside of the U.S.?

Generally, UNLV will accept credits from international postsecondary institutions recognized by a country’s Ministry of Education as a degree-granting institution.

What types of courses are transferable to the university?

Our general rule is that baccalaureate-level courses from regionally accredited institutions will transfer. Remedial coursework and vocational coursework will not transfer. Religion coursework from private institutions will not transfer. Students may use resourcesavailable through UNLV to get an idea for how classes may transfer. Students who attend an NSHE 2-year institution may contact the UNLV/CSN Transfer Office for specific counsel. Coursework will be officially evaluated only upon application and submission of all official transcripts.

How many nontraditional credits can be applied towards a degree at UNLV?

Advanced Placement, CLEP, or military service credits are examples of nontraditional credit. The maximum number of credits that may be applied toward a UNLV degree from these programs is 60. An official copy of appropriate grades/scores must be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from the school, testing, or reporting agency.

My school is on the quarter system. How will my quarter credits convert to semester credits?

The conversion of credits from the quarter to the semester system is 2/3. To convert your credits, take the total number of transferable units, multiply by two, and divide by three. This will give you the number of credits you have earned on the semester system.

I was awarded academic renewal/ academic forgiveness at my previous institution. How will UNLV view that in regards to my admission?

UNLV does not recognize academic renewal or forgiveness policies from other institutions. All grades from transferable courses on the student record will be used in the calculation of the transfer GPA, except in the case of repeated courses, addressed below.

If I’ve repeated a course, how will UNLV calculate that into GPA for admission?

If a student repeats a course at the same institution, the first attempt will be discounted.

Am I eligible for financial aid and scholarships at the university when I transfer?

Students must submit the appropriate FAFSA to UNLV for financial aid consideration. Note that a financial aid package will not “follow you” from another institution. Please visit UNLV’s Financial Aid & Scholarships website for additional scholarship opportunities.

What is the process to appeal how coursework has transferred to UNLV?

Students wishing to petition the transfer of coursework must work directly with their academic advisor.

As a UNLV student, can I take classes somewhere else over the summer? How do I make sure they will transfer back to UNLV?

Please discuss this first with your academic advisor. You may also use the Transferology and the Transfer Course Equivalency Tables.

I am returning to school after a break in attendance of a few years. Will the credits I had previously earned still count towards my degree? Do credits expire?

From an admissions stand point, credits do not expire. However, within particular majors, there are courses that need to have been completed within a certain time frame to be applicable to degree major requirements. Your academic advisor can assist you with circumstances specific to your situation.